Armies of Liberation

Jane Novak's blog about Yemen

al-Khaiwani Sprung!

Filed under: Yemen — by Jane Novak at 11:34 am on Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Its official.

President Ali Abdullah Saleh declared amnesty to Abdul-Karim Al-Khaiwani, editor-in-chief of Al-Shoura Newspaper, a day after a Sana’a appeal court confirmed the primary court verdict.

Our efforts in bringing the petition or the weight of our combined readership may have played some part in his release. We’ll never know exactly what happened but somehow he’s out.

I am not surprised by the way you all responded. Nor am I surprised that so many stood up so strongly for the Yemeni people and Mr. al-Khaiwani. It was a beautiful thing to watch unfold.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present again with great pleasure
The Coalition of the Willing:

Dreams into Lightning….
American Warmonger
…..History’s End…..
INDC Journal…..Joe Territo…..Winds of Change…..
The Queen of All Evil…..Free Thoughts, Italy…..Dynamobuzz….
David’s Medienkritik, Germany…..Fayrouz, Iraqi…..Jack of Clubs…..
The Jawa Report…..The Bad Hair Blog…..Beautiful Atrocities…..
Robert Spencer…..My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy…..Protein Wisdom…..
Deans’s World……Politburo Diktat…..Roger L. Simon…..
The Hatemongers Quarterly…..Six Meat Buffet…..Middle East Transparent, France…..
Arthur Chrenkoff, Australia…..Day by Day Cartoon…..Michael Ledeen…..
Solomonia…..Habibee…..Ace…..
Michelle Malkin…..Tim Worstall, UK…..Diggers Realm…..
In Search of Utopia…..PseudoMagazine…..Bloggledygook…..
MythusmageOpines……Radio Cyborg…..DaouReport…..
Blogger News Network…..The Moderate Voice…..Or does it explode?…..
Little Miss Attila…..The Red Hunter…..Crack The Bell…..
Rumcrook’s Tavern…..Rambling’s Journal…..Kitkat…..
Q and O….. Ny Newz n’ Ideas…..Young Pundits…..
Editors in Pajamas…..Eternity Road…..The Dusty Attic…..
Memento Moron…..Americans for Freedom…..Tim Blair, Australia…..
The Third World View…..Demosophia…..Instapundit…..
Isaac Schrodinger…..Publis Pundit…..The Rajun Cajun…..
Lagomorphic Tendencies…..Blogs About Hosting….
and of course, the one, the only, The Cranky Neocon

Good Job People. Thank You. Rock On. Air guitars for everybody.

43 Comments

Comment by Stefania

3/23/2005 @ 12:11 pm

Great news!! Will we be able to contact him? Or will you on our behalf?

Comment by Jane

3/23/2005 @ 12:14 pm

I think so. Stephania, thanks so much for all you did.

Comment by Preston Taylor Holmes

3/23/2005 @ 12:16 pm

EXCELLENT!

Trackback by Six Meat Buffet

3/23/2005 @ 12:25 pm

Good News from Yemen
Kudos to Jane for undoubtedly contributing to Al-Khaiwani’s release. Could this actually be a sign of a growing free press in Yemen?

Comment by The RaBBiT

3/23/2005 @ 12:32 pm

Jane, this is OUTSTANDING news! You did it! We did it! They did it! It’s done. Take a bow.

Comment by Jane

3/23/2005 @ 1:01 pm

I can’t tell you how happy I am.

Comment by Digger

3/23/2005 @ 1:04 pm

Whooohoo!! Now he can see his kids once again!

Comment by jp

3/23/2005 @ 1:07 pm

awesome work Jane. Now we need to work on freeing Ayman Nour in Egypt. they jailed him again today.

Trackback by Ace of Spades HQ

3/23/2005 @ 1:16 pm

Yemeni Opposition Journalist Granted Amnesty
His conviction was affirmed, but the Yemeni President apparently understood that the times, they are a-changin’. One little note: Armies of Liberation thanks this site for my part in helping get the word out about this guy. The trouble is:…

Comment by Beth

3/23/2005 @ 1:22 pm

OMG! GREAT news! You should be REALLY proud for what you’ve done for this man! Please, pass on our best wishes to him. I’m so happy to see that this really made a genuine difference in the world–Jane, you really are AWESOME!

Comment by Stefania

3/23/2005 @ 1:28 pm

If you have the chance to do it, please say to Khaiwani that we’ll not stop supporting all who want a free Yemen, where leggittimate criticism is allowed.

Comment by Kathleen A

3/23/2005 @ 1:45 pm

GREAT JOB JANE! You single-handidly brought this topic to the surface and accomplished this man’s freedom. I bow to your greatness.

Comment by Dusty

3/23/2005 @ 1:51 pm

Congratulations on your effort, Jane. You’ve done good work.

I’m sure you are anxious to hear from Al-Khaiwani. I’ll be looking for that post.

Comment by Matthias

3/23/2005 @ 1:52 pm

Fantastic!

Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

Matthias

Comment by Gordon

3/23/2005 @ 2:01 pm

What’s an appropriate way to thank President Ali Abdullah Saleh? A Hallmark card or chocolates.

Seriously, how do we / should we follow up with a thank you for doing the right thing?

Comment by Jane

3/23/2005 @ 2:12 pm

Gordo, I think I should fax something to the Yemeni Amb and UN rep who got the petition and then my threatening fax last week. We appeciate this judicious decision or something. I feel kinda bad that I have have an article out saying Saleh has an ugly face.

Comment by Jeremy

3/23/2005 @ 2:25 pm

I think what might be in order is a great big thank you note to Saleh. If you write one I’ll sign it. I’m sure others would as well. Maybe a petition of thanks?

So when are you going to get the interview? Will he be calling later or are you two sticking to e-mail?

Your audience demands an interview! This is really great news Jane. I can’t imagine how happy you must be. This a great day for the blogosphere and the world.

Trackback by The Dusty Attic

3/23/2005 @ 2:36 pm

Jane Novak has done good work
Jane has a post up noting that Yemeni journalist Abdul-Karim Al-Khaiwani has been freed from prision via an amnesty declaration by President Ali Abdullah Saleh. [...]

Comment by Alan Kellogg

3/23/2005 @ 2:43 pm

Glad I could do my small bit. Were it not for you, however, I dare say the man would be in far worse straits than mere incarceratin, much less free.

Now tell me, did you trackback to my ‘tribute’ to spring because it seemed appropriate, or because it was the first posting on the list? :)

Comment by Jane

3/23/2005 @ 2:44 pm

Not being an expert on this but I think he’s got to want to spend a week home with his wife and kids or just walking around in the sun before anything else.

One thing to everybody, all I did was type stuff. Granted I did lots and lots of typing, but he’s the real hero in this story, not me at all.

Trackback by Mythusmage Opines

3/23/2005 @ 2:54 pm

Good News on a Nice Spring Day
Armies of Liberation » al-Khaiwani Sprung! Khaiwani’s out. He’s been freed from a Yemeni jail and is back with his family. You can read more on the matter at Jane’s place. My commendations to all who participated in the effort,…

Comment by Brian B

3/23/2005 @ 4:01 pm

Damned if this doesn’t feel really, really good!

Comment by Jane

3/23/2005 @ 4:05 pm

Especially after yesterday. Yesterday was a really really bad day.

Comment by John

3/23/2005 @ 4:27 pm

Jane, Congratulations on seeing your hard work result in something very positive.

Comment by Brodie

3/23/2005 @ 4:59 pm

At least he no longer has to worry about being starved to death by a government that no longer cares about him. God bless his freedom.

Comment by Tom Seeman

3/23/2005 @ 5:02 pm

Yippee!

You did a very good thing by taking up this cause. It’s one battle in a big war, but wars are one one battle at a time.

Comment by Tom Seeman

3/23/2005 @ 6:01 pm

That’s “won one battle at a time.”

Comment by Fausta

3/23/2005 @ 6:01 pm

Jane, you have earned a standing ovation. Thank you!

Trackback by Little Miss Attila

3/23/2005 @ 6:58 pm

Victory in Yemen!
Jane at Armies of Liberation has been successful in her campaign to free Al-Khaiwani from jail. You’ll recall that President Saleh (who heads up the freaking judiciary there, presumably due to budget cuts) had him imprisoned because he criticized the…

Comment by Rezwan

3/24/2005 @ 3:26 am

The credit should go to you Jane.

Towards a great cause you will find lots of supporters. But it is the leader who makes everybody believe that this can be done.

The power of one makes the difference. And I am sure we won’t be seeing more of this power.

Comment by Rosemary

3/24/2005 @ 3:52 am

Yippie! Thank you, God and Jane! This is wonderful. I got lost checking out some of the other links, I’m just now getting back! This is so cool. We CAN make a difference. Heck, ain’t no stoppin’ us now…!

Comment by Alan Kellogg

3/24/2005 @ 7:14 am

Jane, would you stop being so humble? You’re not that famous.

Comment by jp

3/24/2005 @ 5:32 pm

actually, about the idea to fax saleh again, I think it should not be to “thank” him, but to offer “congratulations”, as he is increasing the standing of his country in the eyes of the democracies of the world.

Comment by Jane

3/24/2005 @ 6:38 pm

Right its imprortant to remember the rest of the journos under seige there. The problem is not solved just one symptom.

Trackback by Jack of Clubs

3/24/2005 @ 8:40 pm

al-Khaiwani Free
I did little more than sign the on-line petition, but it is a good feeling to be part of another blow against tyranny. Thanks, Jane, for keeping us all posted.

Comment by Doug

3/25/2005 @ 7:40 am

Right its imprortant to remember the rest of the journos under seige there.

That’s not a thing. If Saleh starts feelin’ froggy again, we know you’ll show him your pimp hand.

Comment by Jane

3/25/2005 @ 7:45 am

Word up bro.

Comment by michael ledeen

3/25/2005 @ 5:25 pm

yeeeeeeeeeeehaaa!

Trackback by My Newz 'n Ideas

3/25/2005 @ 8:13 pm

al-Khaiwani is Free
Here is the article that first let us know he was freed. If you would like to e-mail him and say welcome home or something, you can do so here. Thank you, Jack and Jane. Hey, if your name was Jill instead of Jane…LOL. Everyone have a good day.

Trackback by The Moderate Voice

3/28/2005 @ 3:02 am

Around The ‘Sphere
Our occassional and highly popular linkfest giving you posts from all over the Internet. These are NOT RESTRICTED to one political viewpoint — but …

Trackback by The Moderate Voice

3/28/2005 @ 3:02 am

Around The ‘Sphere

Comment by Network fax server

2/7/2006 @ 11:37 am

Hey, you have a very good blog! I’ve already bookmarked you. I just read this article and it was interesting and helpful. In fact, I’m developing a project to use communication technologies such as Network fax server and Internet news sources (like your blog). Maybe you are interested in taking part of this project. I will keep reading your blog and contact you very soon.

Comment by discount office furniture

2/9/2006 @ 9:33 am

This is really great news Jane

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Tourisme DentaireTourisme DentaireDental TourismTourisme DentaireProthese dentaireClinique dentaireFacette dentairesTourisme DentaireVoyage DentaireTourisme Dentaire Tourisme DentaireTourisme DentaireTourisme DentaireTourisme DentaireDental TourismTourisme DentaireDental TourismMedical Tourism Tourisme DentaireTourisme Dentaire

Bad Behavior has blocked 5041 access attempts in the last 7 days.